The Dance Institute of Washington is committed to providing youth the opportunity to develop artistically, socially, emotionally and intellectually through dance. DIW operates a studio school, outreach, youth ensemble and professional company, granting youth from diverse backgrounds the chance to experience the performing arts and develop important skills.
DIW is a nationally recognized model for the use of dance as a vehicle to develop successful citizens. A hub of culturally diverse dance, DIW enriches DC’s and the nation’s cultural economy.
DIW works to:
1) bring quality diverse dance training, performing arts education and youth workforce development to underserved communities;
2) involve parents, educators, professional artists and community members in the lives of DC’s at-risk youth;
3) foster mentoring relationships between arts professionals and students;
4) reach nontraditional audiences through dance; and
5) celebrate the diverse cultures of DC and help diversify the ballet, arts, entertainment and media industries.
“The magic of DIW—what makes it all worthwhile—is expressed in the stories of promising youth, such as one young man who came to DIW as a rising track star with only a minimal interest in dance. He fell in love with the program and the art form. He built up immense drive, passion, and skill in a short time, and was rewarded by being accepted into Dance Theatre of Harlem’s Summer Intensive. Generous donations make this all possible.”
--The late, beloved Fabian Barnes
Founder/Artistic Director, DIW
Believe in ballet and the value of arts education! Join the movement started by Mr. Barnes and his students in 1987. Any gift from the heart is a tremendous contribution to DIW’s work and a profound investment in the bright young dancers and successful citizens whom it is our pleasure to serve.
Grant Writer/Development Manager
Dance Institute of Washington